Mitch Seekins Summary Profile
Mitch Seekins has been singing professionally since 1981, has studied voice intensely for 15 years, and had been teaching students vocal technique for over 26 years. He has performed Pop, Rock, R&B, Jazz and Opera coast to coast in Canada, USA and Europe.
If you would like to hear and/or see Mitch perform, visit his performance web site: www.mvsmusic.com
Having studied voice so extensively and performing in multiple musical genres, Mitch has been able to develop a unique vocal technique (The Mitch Seekins Vocal Technique) that empowers his students with the ability to sing in any musical genre or style.
Touring pressures are increasing on today’s (and future) recording artists. Having the ability to maintain vocal health and endurance …or even fix and heal existing vocal issues is an absolute necessity for professionals or anyone contemplating a career in music,
Mitch’s vocal technique is very different from “vocal coaching”. Vocal coaching, which is widely available, guides a student through music and phrasing. The vocal skills students learn from Mitch are more fundamental and are completely transferable from one vocal style to another. Essentially, Mitch teaches students “how to sing” and how to sing well…along with the ability and knowledge to develop their voice to its fullest potential!
Mitch has shared his own specialized vocal technique, with the likes of Matt Walst – Three Days Grace; Ian Thornley – Thornley and Big Wreck, Simon Ward – The Strumbellas – iheart award winners multiple junos including Single of the Year 2017! Serena Ryder – 11 Juno Nominations – 6 Juno’s won! Including 2014 Artist of the Year, 2014 Song Writer of the Year; John & James Abrams – The Abrams Brothers, Stephan Babcock – Pup The Band, Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies, two-time 2002 Juno award winner Hawksley Workman, Emm Gryner (who has sung backup vocals for David Bowie and is an independent recording artist) and many others.
Mitch Seekins Full Biography
EDUCATION: Vocal Education has been through private study.
- Vocal Coaching with Mr. Brahm Goldhammer 1996 to 2000
- Vocal Instruction with Tenor, Mr. Lenard Whitting 1996 to 1999
- Vocal Coaching with Ms. Mila Filatova 1995
- Vocal Instruction with Mezzo Soprano, Mrs. Susan Gudgeon 1993 to 1996
- Vocal Instruction with Tenor, Mr. Edward Johnson 1985 to 1993
VOCAL STUDIO EXPERIENCE 1990 to Present
- Launched Mitch Seekins Vocal Studio in Toronto in 1990
- In 1991, expanded to include Vocal Studios in London and Hamilton and ran successfully to 1996
- In 1996, closed the London Studio to dedicate extra time to learning Opera Roles
- In 1998 began to prepare for On-line Vocal School
- In 2000, closed the Hamilton Studio to focus on growth and expansion of Toronto Studio.
- In 2002 began establishing On-line Vocal School
- In 2002 moved Toronto Studio to Oakville, Ontario
- In 2005 moved The Vocal Studio to Burlington, Ontario
TEACHING EXPERIENCE 1990 to Present
- Founder and primary instructor at The Vocal Academy
- Private vocal instructor – experienced teaching in-depth instruction on diaphragmatic breathing, support, projection/resonance, vocal care, microphone technique & execution of language.
- Experienced dealing with a range of students, from ages 10 to 60, from international recording artists, to night club performers, musical theatre performers, actors, corporate executives and people just wanting to learn to sing for fun.
- Motivated and inspired many students interested in pursuing and maintaining a professional singing career. Current & Past students have included: Matt Walst – Three Days Grace; Ian Thornley – Big Wreck and Thornley, Simon Ward – The Strumbellas, Serena Ryder, John & James Abrams – the Abrams Brothers, Stephan Babcock – Pup The Band; Margo Timmins from Cowboy Junkies, Emm Gryner, (solo artist, multiple Juno award nominee and backup vocalist for David Bowie), Hawksley Workman -Universal Records, two time Juno Award winner in 2003, and Carlos Morgan, Juno Award Winner (Best R&B vocalist) to name only a few.
- Academic appointment at Mohawk College from 1995 to 1997 as a Jazz Vocal Instructor via Continuing Education Dept.
- Assisted established/signed pop and rock artists dealing with vocal problems, cord damage and the challenges that touring vocalists face.
PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE 1981 to Present
- Extensive cross Canada tour 1981 to 1990, featured in nightclubs performing Pop, Rock and R&B and conducting interviews on local television and performing radio simulcasts. Exclusively performed for Toronto clubs 1990 to 1995
- In 1996, made the transition to classical music and performed in various operas and roles:
- Pinkerton in the 1996 Centuries Opera Summer workshop production of Puccini’s Madama Butterfly
- Gastone in the J.H.S. Opera Company production of Verdi’s La Traviata
- Ferrando in Opera Buffa’s 1997 summer production of Mozart’s Cosi Fan Tutte
- A Companion of Seneca in the Royal Conservatory’s 1998 production of The Coronation of Poppea
- For Opera Buffa’s 1998 summer workshop series he performed the roles of Rinuccio in Gianni Schicchi, The Defendant (Edwin) in Trial by Jury and Monostatos in The Magic Flute
- For Opera Anonymous, the role of Padrillo in their fall ’98 production of Mozart’s The Abduction from The Seraglio
- Sang as the tenor soloist in Gounod’s St. Cecilia Mass (Oct. ’98) with a 60-piece choir
- Hired by the Trinity Presbyterian Church choir in 1996 as Tenor Soloist performing pieces from the 16 to the 20 century.
- Produced and performed “Romanza ~ A Tribute to Andrea Bocelli” to theatres and audiences within south-western Ontario
- Co-founder of the performing act “The Legendary Tenors” who performed across Canada and the USA from ’02 to ’08 for clients such as: Francis Ford Copolla at the Niebaum-Copolla Winery in California, The Right Honorable John Turner and The Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
- Developed and Produced Mitchell V & the World (1997 – 2013) one of Canada’s premier corporate party bands. Clients have included, AT&T (President’s Club in Cancun Mexico), Mount Sinai Annual Gala with Bill Cosby, Queens Park Canada Day 2001, Bell Canada, Nortel, Rogers Communication, British Airways World Conference, Cadillac Fairview, Ontario Food & Beverage Union, just to name a few.
- Creator & Producer of “Bublé to Bocelli” (2002 – ‘10) – a show featuring Mitch Seekins and his 11-piece band. This show combined two great musical styles – all the old Crooner standards mixed with the Andrea Bocelli hits.
- Created and produced “The International Tenors” in 2009 and was signed with East Coast Entertainment in Richmond Virginia. Toured the USA and Canadian soft seat theatre market from ‘09 to ’15
- Created and produced “The Best of Bennett” – a tribute to Tony in 2011. Toured ’11 to ‘15 throughout the USA and Canada
- Performed as a session vocalist for major label and independent releases and demos
- Has sung on many television and radio jingles for Canadian and USA clients, ie: London Telecom, Subway Sandwiches, Great West Homes and many others.